Wednesday 7 March 2012

Happy Women's day!


So once again trusty Google has informed me of an important day in the worldly calendar- today is in fact “international women’s day”. Hooray! Let’s all go and burn our bras and dance naked through the forests as acts of feminism and hippie-like freedom. Or not.
                It seems sad to me how (in my little student bubble anyway) many of these events go unnoticed by those of us who aren’t for example, top notch political activists. When, I ask you was the last time you celebrated St. George’s day? Poor St. George, lost and forgotten. St Patrick however, with his love of Guinness and general drunken chaos has never been forgotten, nor will he ever I pray. Not that I’m actually aware who bonny St Patrick was (I feel ashamed at this fact) but I will quite happily raise a glass or 10 to him every St Paddy’s that comes around.
                Back to International women’s day. A quick stop on the Wikipedia page has informed me that 2012 women’s day is all about empowering women as well as celebrating inspirational women in the world. With mother’s day just around the corner, it seems quite fitting. Surely the most inspirational women in most of our lives are the ones around us (hey mum), not to mention those celeb ladies that we all just want to be like- I’m thinking Blake Lively/ Sarah Jessica Parker/ Zooey Deschanel.  There are some women however, who just don’t make the cut. I’m talking about the people you’d rather die than be like, the snog/marry/avoid type. Nice girls, but horrific at the same time.
                Even though these women don’t seem to make the cut, you still have to admit that if you ran into them in the street, you would still feel a little bit of awe. I went to the cinema tonight to take advantage of an orange Wednesday, with my friend Leanne, and who did we bump into? Not one, but 3 cast members of Hollyoaks.  It sounds sad, but when you’re a student who does anything to avoid doing any form of uni work, Hollyoaks is an easy time-filler that becomes strangely addictive. I couldn’t tell you the name of the girl who we call “the annoying Irish one” purely because she has a northern Irish accent and she plays a really whiney character. We were still excited to see her out and about however. When it all comes down to it then, people who we may not even know inspire us in everyday life. Rachael Mcadams played the part of an extremely inspirational woman (the vow is based on a true story which makes it even sadder), and even though the woman whose life story was used for the script is largely unknown to everyone, the fact that she overcame such a massive trauma in her life shows how determined and inspirational women can be (and men of course, but its international women’s day so let’s focus here).



I’ll leave you with this to be inspired (or disturbed) by-skip to about 1 minute in: 

The lovely Sherika. Maybe she likes to celebrate international women’s day by going out naked? Who knows? Oh dearie me… 


No comments:

Post a Comment